Friday, October 3, 2014

Down Syndrome Awareness Month , Day 3: Persistence



Calling today a cheat day. I've been running like a nut since this morning, so putting something original together right now is not humanly possible for me or my tired brain. 

I love looking back on older posts. So, this is one of my favorites. It makes me smile and yes, cry just a bit. But not sad tears. Do you have a sunflower in your life?  


From October 21st 2010

Persistence.





Persistent. That just about sums up what this sunflower is. It's October 21st, well past blooming time.Sunflower season is over. The leaves are changing, the temperature is dropping and the garden is readying itself for a long winters nap. But this sunflower bloomed today. Stuck it's pretty face into the sun for the very first time. The epitome of a late bloomer. You see this sunflower had a tough beginning. It started out in the usual way, as a tiny seed, gently planted into the earth in early spring. It was tended to and watered, and in time it became a tiny shoot, with tiny little leaves. Well, it met up with a wayward lawn mower and it all but disappeared.  I feared it was gone. But everyday I checked on it, I knew it's roots were still embedded in the earth, and in time it grew again. Still early enough in the summer, it would have plenty of time to grow tall.  Then some nasty bugs ate all the leaves and my sunflower disappeared again. I feared the worst, but once again it proved me wrong and started to grow. Just a little slower and smaller this time. It was already halfway through the summer, but still enough warm days left I thought, for it to grow tall and strong.  One more attack of bugs took it from my sight. It was late summer now and even if it came back again I feared the cold would put an absolute end to my sunflower. But, again it persevered and started to grow. This time I felt bad for my sunflower. All this effort to grow and stand tall, so many times starting over and over again, just to be frozen by the dropping temps. Why does it bother? Why doesn't it just give up? 
I guess because, that's all it knows. Maybe this sunflower longs to feel the sun on it's petals even if it's just for a day. Because even a life that doesn't seem worth it is very well worth it if it's yours. Maybe it's not the quantity of days but the quality. Maybe it just enjoys a good challenge!    


Regardless of the reason, my summer sunflower is here and blooming right next to the fall mums. Her stem is crooked and her flower is small but her face is in the sun. And I think my sunflower is beautiful, just as she is.

I think I'll call my sunflower Emilia...


No comments: