Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Bittersweet Accomplishment

For the past five years I've been plugging away at this blog in the efforts to relay a message. 

A message of hope to anyone who may stumble upon us and be drifting in the same boat we were in when we found out Em would be born with Down syndrome. 

A message of encouragement. You and your family will be okay.

A message of  Community. You are not alone. There are more of us out here who went through the same feelings and emotions that you are going through. Reach out to us! 

I've shared all of Emilia's accomplishments here. Everything from sitting up, to walking, to her first words.

Today I share one that seemed so far away when she was born I thought it would never get here. 

On Friday my "baby" will be graduating  preschool. In the blink of an eye it's over. A huge part of her life is ending and  another adventure with Em is on the horizon... KINDERGARTEN!



My girl did it! And did it well!

She learned to count, and definitely knows the letter "E" . She can sing and climb and paint and read me stories. She can draw. She has made friends and touched the lives of everyone she has come in contact with at her AMAZING school. No one there will ever forget who Emmie was, and we will never forget them. They loved her like she was theirs and for that I am eternally thankful. 

Tears are flowing now as I type this and on Friday I'll be an ugly mess,but my heart is bursting for my girl! 

How I wish the world could see our kids for what they are, and what they bring with them. They are treasures and miracles. Many words describe my Em, but burden is not and never will be one of them.

She is the joy we didn't realize was missing from our lives.

Be back on Friday with pictures of the Emmie's graduation!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Emmy & its no surprise to me you are a terrific mom Steph & with your love & support behind her she will always do great.
Love Diane