Saturday, March 20, 2010

Instant Connection



The last few day as been ... let's just say a little more than stressful, for reasons not worth my effort to write about.

Last night Peter, Emmie, Andrew and I stopped by the grocery store. After walking up and down the isles while Andrew asked ,"are we done" and how many more things do you have to get"? my patience was dwindling. I was tired both physically and mentally and new my night wasn't over yet.

We stopped by the Redbox to get a movie on the way out. I sat on the bench with Emmie for a quick snuggle and waited for Peter and Andrew to finish . This women walked by , and stopped dead in her tracks. At first I just figured she was going to comment on Em, as she was smiling and being her charming self. And I was right, she engaged in a quick conversation with Emmie. Then looked at me and said, "I have a son". To anyone else, that would have left them hanging. I have a son who? They would be waiting for her to complete her sentence. But to me it wasn't a grammatical error, it was a very complete and fully understood statement.

"How old is he", was my response. She didn't look much older than me so I was expecting her to say around five or six. She said" he's twenty nine. And the best thing that ever happened to us he is our angel".
"So is Emmie, she's everything we always wanted" I replied.

And with that we said goodbye, and went our separate ways. But I went on to talk about her, and I know when she got home, she talked about Emmie.


That "brief" encounter was so much more than that. It was a gift from God, at the exact moment I needed a little "something". A little reminder , a little pick me up, whatever you want to call it. A moment shared between two mothers who speak the same language and know a love like so many will never experience or understand.

13 comments:

my family said...

you are right, some things just do not have to be spoken in words, we just know the joy that our children bring to us and sometimes that love and blessing cannot be expressed simply in words. I hope you havea better weekend

Kelly said...

Sorry the past few days haven't been so shiny, Stephanie:( Although they are never easy, they "DO" and "WILL" pass. And, sometimes, it's those brief encounters, with complete strangers that remind us of the blessings that are right before our eyes:) The language we speak, is a "TRUE GIFT"!! And one we get to share with the world! The sun is shining again.....go ahead and enjoy it!!

mandd3 said...

Oh Stephanie, I am so sorry you were having some down times. But what a lovely reminder of how close the Lord hold his special families. The Holy Spirit works in wonderous ways.

The VW's said...

I totally get it! And, I totally have tears running down my cheeks! Our special little ones are the best!!! Love and Hugs!!!

Kele said...

I am such a sap! That sweet little story has me bawling!!
I am so happy I have people in my life, like you and other Ds mommies, that just 'get' what others can't, won't and most likely never will, the fact we are lucky, so VERY lucky to have our angels!

MyBulletinBoard said...

You got it. And you were probably just the pick-me-up she needed, too. ~Liz

Scrappy quilter said...

An angel is disguise maybe...I loved reading this. I'm so sorry you are having a difficult time. Think of you often. E-mail me if you want to. Hugs and love dear friend

Denise said...

What a great story. Just what you needed at that moment. A gentle reminder about how great your life is!!

Emily said...

Oh... I just love when that happens to me! It will lift my spirits every single time! So glad you were able to "speak the same language!"

Kelli said...

what a great pick me up

Tina said...

Thats intense...I know how such moments are rare but when they happen they stay with us. I hope things your end have eased up a bit? Stress is a big burden to carry around, get it off your chest, it helps. I have been exhausted the last couple of weeks, Saira has been on and off with her health, an I feel I am missing out on so many of my friends blogs because I just don't seem to get any time anymore even to just read forget posting anything. I hope that will change soon. I am thinking of you my friend and really hope your heart and mind is less burdened. Happy World DS Day

To Love Endlessly said...

wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!

Beverly said...

I just love these kind of meetings. they are the best and so heart lifting. Love this post!