Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Water Water Everywhere!!!!!!

OH my what a watery mess my little city of Warwick is in!!! Actually the whole state is a mess and parts of MA and CT too. We have had nothing but rain all month and the rivers couldn't take any more. Head over here for crazy videos of my area. The first video is just down the street from me!!!!! Seriously you gotta see this. It hasn't flooded like this in our area for more than 100 years! Roads have caved in due to the water. People are being evacuated, the kids are home from school, our lower level is still under water even though we've been pumping for well over 24 hours straight. I've never seen anything like it.

Monday night we were still fine. We have NEVER gotten even a drop of water in our house, EVER. I always counted us extremely lucky because almost everyone else on our street at one time or another has gotten water in their basements.

Tuesday morning I woke up to the alarm clock. I noticed the floor in front of the crib was shiny. Being half a sleep I couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it was coming from the crib. No it was coming from under the crib, and along the walls on all sides of our bedroom!

As were we nestled all snug in our beds the water was pouring in!!

I can say I was definitely in a state of shock, I was way too calm. I don't even want to think about the amount of damage down there. I'm just avoiding it all together.

We called the fire department to see if they could help pump out the water. They were beyond kind but they only have one pump! LOL. They did come in and shut our heat and hot water off. We don't need an electrocution too. They said we were number twenty on the list. I wonder what number they're on now! LOL Haven't seen them since!! But Peter made his way out yesterday and caught a shipment of pumps that were just being delivered at Home Depot. He was number thirty in line!! There was another Home Depot that had 51 pumps in stock but their parking lot was flooded and they had to close!!! What a hoot!!!


All day long I just kept asking Jesus, " Where are you going with this one? " I sure hope it's a Memorial Box Monday post some day, hehehe!
Because we are in a stinkin' pickle! Everything has to be replaced downstairs. Andrews room is completely underwater , our bedroom too. When I get some pics I'll post them.

But! As bad as I think we have it. Many more have it much worse. There was a family on the news last night that had SIX feet of water in her basement. They were on their way out of the house. So sad. And scary! I mean Sunday we were at the mall, and we saw the water (river) that runs nearby to it,and it was higher than I've ever seen it. But not dangerous. And then a day later the mall is completely under. There is a video of our mall in the link I added. You have to go see. They had to send boats to Old Navy to get the customers out!

The river that is causing all the damage in my area is the Pawtuxet. It will flood at nine feet, today it is at TWENTY feet! It has finally crested and is now slowly receding.

And just to make life a little more interesting, we are without heat or hot water and Warwick's Sewage Treatment Station is ... you guessed it, under water!!

So the request went out last night , by Warwick official, PLEASE DON'T FLUSH!!! HA HA HA!!!

So we are only flushing in extreme conditions!!

Wish us luck!!!!



*thanks for praying for Aniela. please keep her in your thoughts and prayers a bit longer. thanks!


9 comments:

The VW's said...

OH MY! This does not sound like fun to me! You sound way too positive! I would be freaking out! Praying the water doesn't get any higher! Hang in there! Keep up the great attitude! Hugs!

Monica Crumley said...

Oh my goodness, how frightening! You seem amazingly calm in your post -- I think my post on that would come off as frantic. I'll certainly keep you and your family in our prayers!

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh my word, please stay safe. Is everything okay now?? You are in my prayers. Hugs

Lori said...

oh, boy! I thought about you guys when I saw what a mess RI was after the rains. Wow! Do you guys need anything? Let me know - we are not that far away.
Keeping your family (and all those in your area who are underwater) in our prayers!

Becca said...

Wow, you're amazingly upbeat! I know I wouldn't have your composure in a similar situation. Good for you! Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear about all that, though. What a pain! I hope you can dry out soon.

Tina said...

Oh my God I can't believe what I'm reading, I thought we were the only ones that were flooded in during the monsoon months (from June to october). I hope things dry up soon, I know how awful that must be, but true to their word the firemen came, so thats certainly something to put on your thankful post (even in the worst of times there's something to be thankful for). I will keep you guys in my prayers, that all of you are safe and dry.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness... considering the situation you are so positive! That's why I LOVE YOU!

To Love Endlessly said...

my, oh my...head for the hills lady!

Linda said...

Oh my!!!!!!!!! I hope things are repairable. What a nightmare! (...suffering produces endurance... Says St Paul.... Man oh man!!!!!.... Faith says..... I believe even when life hands us so many trials)