Wednesday, October 19, 2011

31 for 21:My Heaven



I originally posted this in September 2010. I thought it was worth re-posting for Down syndrome awareness month.


 If Heaven is Perfect

When I look at Emilia my heart swells. She flutters around like a firefly, spreading a warmth over all she passes. She is a constant light. Her laughter is contagious. Her constant antics have us on our toes at all times. And that mischievous twinkle in her eye... well,I love it ! To me Emilia Faith is perfection.

When I was in school we were taught that heaven was a place of complete happiness. Obviously, being in the presence of God you have no choice but to be completely happy. In heaven there is no sickness, no sadness, no prejudices , no anger or jealousy. It is as Jesus said, "Paradise". It is home.

I love to think about heaven sometimes, especially when I'm missing someone who has left us. I think about how it will be when we are reunited. And of course I have a vision of what heaven looks like to me. There are beautiful gardens with flowers and colors we have never seen before. Things God saved only for heaven. Everyone is happy and full of love. Laughter, singing and praising fill the air, which is always at a comfortable 75degrees with a gentle warm breeze. I can see my loved ones happy and healthy again. They are all perfect. No more suffering with the pains they had here on earth. Any imperfections are gone. Legs work, eyes see , ears hear.

Then I think about Em. Some people look at her and see only imperfections. Where I see beauty they see ugliness. What does their heaven look like? When I think about Em being in heaven she doesn't look any different to me. She still has those fabulous blue eyes, and their perfect almond shape. She still has those adorable curved pinkies.

Some people would think I am crazy for even thinking my child go through an eternity looking like she has Down syndrome. Am I?

That's the face I love, that's the face that makes me cry with a joy I never new existed. That's the face that God molded in His hands just for her.

I'm sorry that everyone cannot see the beauty that we can in our children. I'm sorry that I didn't see it until God gave me Em.

I am overjoyed that my eyes we opened to this beauty while I was still here in this world. And my image of heaven could be made even better.

These are just my ramblings and in no way what to force my beliefs on anyone. I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm definitely not wishing Em or anyone else to go through an eternity with the difficulties that accompany Down syndrome, which God wouldn't allow anyway.
Who knows what heaven will actually be like. No one here can really answer that. Except to say that anything we, with our limited abilities can imagine , God will out do a million times over. We surely will not be disappointed.

3 comments:

The VW's said...

One of my boys once said that he wondered if Jesus looked similiar to Gavin. I think he believes that Gavin is just about perfect.....and so do I!

I also believe that our Ds cuties are closer to being like God wants us to be like, closer than any of us can even come close to being.

oh, and I think your sweet Em is like Heaven too! Hugs!

Me said...

My heaven is exactly the same as yours. Heaven would not be heaven without those I love with DS!

Mary

Heather said...

Hey, remember me?? I am that crappy friend that lives 3,000 miles away. Remember?

So sorry I been absent. Weird place I have been dwelling in lately. Between the run and what I do believe might be a mid-life crisis... I have been no good to anyone. But I am turning this baby around and promise to be more attentive to my beautiful friends.

By the way, you are just rocking the 31 for 21, aren't you? Putting me to shame.