Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sharing Some Tummy Yumminess... Baked Squash Style....Seriously

I've been making this squash dish every year since I got married. I only make it on Thanksgiving and Christmas and my family is always foaming at the mouth for it. Squash and kids? Yup they'll eat this one.. it's amazing! Thought I'd share it for the holidays with my "closest" friends:)

Try it.





Baked Winter Squash


1 small winter squash( I use butternut because it's our favorite) and I triple the recipe
1 cup vegetable stock (I used good canned veggie broth)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 yellow onion. finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper


preheat oven to375degrees
Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Place cut side down in a baking dish. Pour the stock into the dish. Place in the oven and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. To test , pierce the flesh with a fork.




In a frying pan melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and stir until soft, about 2 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the parsley and the marjoram and stir for one minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.


Scoop out and discard the seeds and fibers from the baked squash halves.Scoop out the pulp, reserving one of the squash shells. ( I don't save the shell. I find that baking the squash in a casserole dish is much better)

Place the pulp in a food processor fitted with a metal blade(I use my regular blender). Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the egg yolks and process to blend. Add cream, cheese and reserved onion and again process to blend.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the squash mixture evenly into the squash shell or casserole dish and place in  baking dish(only if using the shell). Bake until the top is golden, 15 - 20 minutes.


Sprinkle the remaining 1tablespoon parsley over the top and serve hot.Spoon directly from the shell.


This dish is great to make ahead of time and just reheat. 
Serves four... see why I triple it:)

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

YUM! Trying this for sure. Dariya eats squash like crazy!